Finding Children's & Young Adult Books
The Monmouth College Library has a children's literature collection on the lower level of Hewes Library. Materials circulate for 30 days and can be renewed.
Monmouth College Library Catalog
1. Think of KEYWORDS that express the subject you are searching for and then think of SYNONYMS. Put the words together in a search phrase.
Search fields to try: KEYWORD or SUBJECT
Search: math* OR number* OR count*
Search: Underground Railroad OR slave*
2. Limit the results on the right side to LOCATION = Children's Collection.
3. Here is a book retrieved through the search: underground railroad OR slave*. See the TOPICS words in the record for more KEYWORD ideas.
4. Evaluate a specific book by clicking the MORE DETAILS tab. Information such as book summary, awards won, and target audience may be available.
The Warren County Public Library is a fantastic source of children's materials, available for browsing or checkout. Bring your College ID and a state issued ID to apply for a library card. Books circulate for 2 weeks and can be renewed. [map to library]
Warren County Public Library Catalog
1. Think of KEYWORDS that express your subject you are searching. Note: it is NOT possible to use OR with synonyms like in the Monmouth and I-Share catalogs, therefore, you may wish to search ONE subject keyword at a time.
Search fields to try: ALL FIELDS or KEYWORD in SUBJECT HEADINGS
2. Limit the results on the left side to READING LEVEL = Juvenile or Young Adult. Click "Include".
3. Here is a book retrieved through the search: butterfl*
4. Evaluate a specific book by looking at the SUMMARY tab.
5. Note the Lexile Measure for Reading Level on the right side of the page (near bottom, if available).
Lexile Measures describe the typical reading level of the book and corresponding grade level. (more on Lexile Measures)