Hewes Library houses over 300,000 books, periodicals, government documents and media to support the research needs of the Monmouth College community. We provide access to over 100 online research database resources, which include full-text access to thousands of periodicals, all accessible through the Hewes Library website. Hewes Library is proud to be the oldest continuous federal government depository in Illinois, established in 1860.
Throughout the building a variety of collaborative and individual study spaces, including five groups study rooms, over two dozen individual computer stations, and networked printers/scan stations, provide ample choices for student study preferences.
Built in 1970, Chester and Mabel Hewes provided Hewes Library the $1 million naming gift. Renovation in 2001 was supported by a bequest from the Keith B. Capron estate, which was applied toward a challenge grant received from the Carver Charitable Trust, a major gift from trustee Ann Mack Collier ’63, another major gift from the estate of Virginia Braselton Flynn ’29 and an additional grant from the Caterpillar Foundation.
The main floor features the Academic and Career Excellence (ACE) offices which include the Office of Student Success & Accessibility Services, the Office of the Registrar, the Wackerle Center for Career, Leadership & Fellowships, and the Office of Global Engagement. The Office of Information Systems is located in the lower level.
In addition to the lovely surroundings, the Library includes two classrooms suitable for instruction and presentation, the college archives and special collections, the Shields Collection of Art and Antiquities, the Len G. Everett Galleries, outdoor patio seating, and an Einstein Brothers Bagels coffee shop.